Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Walk For Him



What a great week! So many miracles are happening here in our mission. I had the opportunity this past week to baptize my brother, Mauricio. It was such a cool experience. The first time I was serving here in Santa Rosa (about 9 months ago), I was able to teach Mauricio a couple of times. He was searching for the truth … he wanted to know which of all the churches was true. I remember testifying to him and telling him that he could know through the power of the Holy Ghost if the things we were sharing with him are true. He was prepared by the Lord to receive the gospel. He grew up in Guatemala and all of his life he was searching and looking for direction. He knew that something was missing in his life, and by reading the Book of Mormon, praying, and coming to church he came to find out that this is the true gospel in all its fullness. So a couple weeks ago, I got a call from the sister missionaries telling me that he decided to be baptized, and they told me that he wanted me to perform the baptism. My heart swelled with joy as I heard that. You never know the effect you have on someone and how it can truly affect their lives forever. So this past Saturday, I baptized him. It was a powerful experience for both of us, and when he came out of the water he had a huge smile on his face. The spirit was so strong as we embraced. I know that God's power was made manifest as that sacred ordinance took place. It was a special moment for both of us. I know that I helped him enter through the gate which leads to eternal life. Tears filled his eyes as we stepped out of the baptismal font. I asked him, "How do you feel?" He paused and said with tears in his eyes, "I feel amazing. I feel like this huge weight has been lifted off of me." I then told him, "Never forget how you feel today. I know that Heavenly Father is proud of you." It was a moment I will remember forever.
I love being a servant of the Lord, Jesus Christ. I know that we walk for the Savior … it is because He cannot be here at this time that He sends his servants to help those He loves so much. There are so many people that deny and reject us, and there are many who do not believe. Serving a mission is not easy, but I know that the life of our Savior was no easy task to fulfill. He was rejected and persecuted for being who He proclaimed to be. He walked for miles and worked miracles among the people and yet they still denied Him. I know that everyone can choose to follow Him or not. His famous words to those He taught were "Come follow me". That is what we do as servants of Jesus Christ … we invite others to follow Him and become disciples by being baptized into His church. I know that the Savior lives. I know that He is going to return in His righteousness and glory. I know that this is the time for us to prepare to meet our Heavenly Father. By following in His footsteps, we can stand for righteousness and we can walk for him here on this beautiful Earth.
Los Quiero Mucho,
Elder Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment