Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Earthly Father, Heavenly Father



It has been such a great week. Selena and Gabe both came to church and it was so wonderful to have them there and to sit with them. They already seem like members. They both want to be baptized, but they have to wait until they are married in November. They are faithfully reading from the Book of Mormon every night. They have told us that every night before bed they read and they feel like they can't put it down. There is a special promise in the Book of Mormon; that we will be filled with the Spirit of God when we read it and that it will draw us nearer to God than any other book. I know that I have seen that and felt that in my own life. I also have seen the light that has entered into Selena and Gabe's lives. It is such an amazing thing to see. Their questions about life and what their purpose is are being answered because they choose to listen to us, read, and pray. I know that anyone can receive answers from God and that He does live. I know He listens to us and that He is our Father in Heaven. 

This past Sunday was Father's Day, and I came across this scripture in the Book of Mormon: "The words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart." 
- Enos 1:3

How grateful I am for a father that has guided me and led me on the straight and narrow path that leads towards eternal life. I am grateful for his testimony of the Savior and for his knowledge of the gospel. I am grateful for his righteousness as he continues to be a worthy priesthood holder and faithful father to my family. I will always remember my father bringing us to church, helping us read the scriptures together as a family, and being there for me. He has taught me how to follow Jesus Christ in my life and for that I am grateful. Being the only son, I have looked up to my father so much. He has been my hero, protector, teacher, coach, and friend. I know he wants what is best for me and wants me to succeed in life. I know that the love he has for me is an extension of God's divine love for me. I know that by living the gospel of Jesus Christ I can experience true happiness forever. I know that because my dad has lived it and I have seen him live it. I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father who comforts me and helps me overcome my trials, and I know that both by earthly father and Heavenly Father are there for me, and I love them both dearly.

I want to be a faithful father in the future. I want to be like my earthly father and my Heavenly Father. I want to be an example to my children and help them understand that through the gospel of Jesus Christ they may experience pure joy in this life and in the life to come. I know that we are all God's children and, like our earthly fathers, God wants to hear from us. By not knowing who our Heavenly Father is it is impossible for us to know who we are. I talk with and see so many people who don't know who they are because they don't know who they come from. But we can find out who he is through prayer. It is through prayer that we can communicate with Him and he will listen to us. I know that He wants us all to return and live with Him again.

"Of all titles of respect and honor and admiration that are given to deity, He has asked us to address him as FATHER." - Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

For all of you fathers and future fathers, watch this video … it is amazing!! Enjoy!

Los Quiero Mucho!


Elder Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment