Thursday, June 27, 2013

A Calmed Soul



My last transfer begins today ... NUTS! Elder Mahoney and I are so excited that we are able to finish our missions together. I love serving with Elder Mahoney … he is so diligent and bold and we both work really well together. For the next transfer we will be training Elder Johansen to be the new assistant to take our position once we both leave in August. I actually served as a zone leader and lived with Elder Johansen in Napa. He is an awesome missionary and we are excited to tear it up as a trio for these next 6 weeks together! I have decided it is going to be the best transfer yet. Elder Mahoney and I have gone through too much to let up or give up. Miracles are happening here … we have so many families and investigators that are soo close! We know they will be part of the "101" in July. As of yesterday, we have 103 baptismal dates for the month of July in the Santa Rosa mission, so this next week we are going to try to pump that up and try to help more of our brothers and sisters commit to following the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized.

On my mission I have experienced hardships and trials. Sometimes it is discouraging to see the people I love so dearly decide not to follow Jesus Christ. I feel like the Lord tests us in this life to see if we will choose to come closer to Him and accept the strength and peace that comes from us relying on the Atonement of Jesus Christ. This past week was really a trial for me, as I just felt torn down and discouraged. The Adversary was pushing my buttons, telling me that I couldn't do it and I couldn't fulfill my potential. I remember praying that day and just saying, "Heavenly Father, help me”. It didn't come all at once, but after talking with my companion and focusing on our people, I was able to feel the spirit once again. Light entered into my day as I continued to choose to lean upon the Savior and trust in Him. I felt at peace with who I am and with my purpose here on my mission. I love this hymn we sang at church on Sunday called, “Where Can I Turn For Peace”, and I really felt comforted as we sang it.

Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?

Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.

He answers privately,
Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend.
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching.
Constant he is and kind,
Love without end.

I am so grateful to know where I can turn to find true and lasting peace. It is through the Savior, Jesus Christ. I know it is a peace that can only be obtained by acting on His loving invitation to "Come Follow Me". I testify that the Savior's arms of mercy are extended to each and every one of us and that we can never travel outside the bounds of His divine love. He will always be there and He will give us peace. I invite you all to take your first step of faith towards Him. I have experienced the peace of the Savior in my life and I know that it is real. I know that He knows us and our trials. He can calm our souls.

Los Quiero,

Elder Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment