Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Service



Last week was so great. I was able to Skype with my family (screen shot below) and it was so good to see their faces. It just made me grateful for them and for all the love and support they have given me throughout my mission. I love each and every one of them and am inspired by their examples and testimonies.
This past week some of the elders and I were able to help out with a “Human Race 3K/10K”, and it was super fun. There were hundreds of people that participated and it felt good to help out with such a big event. I have found that there is a special joy when we serve others. Service helps us take our minds off of ourselves. I felt that in a big way this past Saturday when we helped out with the race. That experience made me think of the following scripture from The Book of Mormon.
And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God. (Mosiah 2:17)
I know that when we serve others we are truly in the service of our God. I have seen that as I have served my mission and have come closer to God and Jesus Christ. That is what I signed up for … two years, every day, 24/7. We can serve our Heavenly Father by serving our fellow brothers and sisters. I love being a missionary because I have the opportunity to put away all distractions and focus on inviting and helping God's children return to live with Him again.
I love my mission and I am also so grateful for the opportunity we had to celebrate our mothers on Sunday. How grateful I am to have been brought up in a home where the gospel of Jesus Christ was lived and taught by a righteous mother; a mother that has always believed in me and loved me every day. I thank my Heavenly Father for a mother that taught me to follow Jesus Christ and to strive to reach my divine potential. I know my mother was the perfect mom for me. I love you Mom. ♥
Remember that when we are in the service of our fellow beings we are only in the service of our God. I invite you all to do an act of service today!
Los Quiero,
Elder Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment