Thursday, May 31, 2012

Together We Stand

This last week went great! Elder Richins and I were able to find and teach a lot of new and great people. We are teaching this young woman named Erika. She has been studying with the Jehovah's Witnesses for many years now. It has been great to see the light of Christ grow within her. She is reading and praying about the Book of Mormon. That has been the difference. The people that read and pray about the Book of Mormon change because Heavenly Father sees their desire. Everything starts with the Book of Mormon, because if the Book of Mormon is true everything else that follows is true as well. It has been a neat experience to be a part of Erika's life. She is amazing and soaking in all that we are teaching her. We are hoping and praying that she continues to progress. This last week I was thinking about Heavenly Father and how powerful, yet merciful, He is. We are His children and I know that He loves each and every one of us. We are here to be tested, and if we pass that test, we have a way to return and live with Him. That is what I would like to talk about today.

Last week I found these two verses of scripture that really made me think.

Romans 8:16-17
16) The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17) And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

I love these verses of scripture because they tells us that we can be joint-heirs with Christ. We are here on earth so that one day we can stand with God and Jesus Christ. All of us have different talents, jobs and duties that we do day in and day out. But God's work is US. My mission president said, "God is the most powerful being in the universe and we don't need an appointment to talk with Him. God answers your prayers 100% of the time. It may not be the answer you want, or in the right time frame you want, but He answers ALL of them. If you involve Him, He can become a big part of your life."

In the bible dictionary under "Prayer" it talks about how important prayer is in our lives. I loved this paragraph from the description.

"As soon as we learn the true relationship in which we stand toward God (namely, God is our Father, and we are his children), then at once prayer becomes natural and instinctive on our part (Matt. 7:7–11). Many of the so-called difficulties about prayer arise from forgetting this relationship. Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child are brought into correspondence with each other. The object of prayer is not to change the will of God, but to secure for ourselves and for others blessings that God is already willing to grant, but that are made conditional on our asking for them. Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them. Prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings."

We kneel in prayer so that in the moment when we meet God we can stand with Him and His Son, Jesus Christ. It is through this form of "work" that we secure the blessings of heaven for ourselves and for others.
I have seen in my life how prayer creates a connection between me and my Heavenly Father. I know that it is through prayer that we ALL can stand together in the last day and be joint-heirs with Jesus Christ. I know that because I have felt it in my personal prayers here on my mission. Prayer is a part of who we are and is our connection to the powers above. He is waiting to hear from His children. I invite you all to pray and to strengthen your connection with our Heavenly Father ... to pray within your homes and families so that they can feel the presence of Heavenly Father and receive the blessings that await them. I love this gospel because it illuminates my heart, mind, and soul. I love my mission and these people. This is the greatest thing I can ever be part of, and we all have that same great opportunity to prepare to stand together in the presence of God.

Les Amo Mucho,


Elder Vance
 

1 comment: