Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Amor

This past week was a roller-coaster with plenty of ups and downs. A definite highlight was going to the Sacramento temple this past Thursday. It was a special experience because one of my cousins, Alissa Manning, got married there a little over a year ago but I was unable to attend. It was a neat experience to just be there and know that her and her husband got sealed there for not only time but for eternity last year, that they made that special covenant to live the commandments of God and to always be faithful to one another. Now they are on their journey into eternity together, and it was such a tender experience to be there where it started. Love ya’ Sissa! In the temple, as I opened up a The Book of Mormon in Spanish, I randomly flipped it open to 3 Nephi 26 where Christ visits the Americas after His resurrection. I love verses 15 and 17 where it says:

15And it came to pass that after he had ascended into heaven the second time that he showed himself unto them, and had gone unto the Father, after having healed all their sick, and their lame, and opened the eyes of their blind and unstopped the ears of the deaf, and even had done all manner of cures among them, and raised a man from the dead, and had shown forth his power unto them, and had ascended unto the Father.

17And it came to pass that the disciples whom Jesus had chosen began from that time forth to baptize and to teach as many as did come unto them; and as many as were baptized in the name of Jesus were filled with the Holy Ghost.

I love these verses because it shows the love that Jesus Christ had for the people. He healed them and cured them. He provided a way (baptism) for them so that they could all be filled with the spirit of God. “Love” in Spanish translates to "Amor". I love that word because I use it often as I tell people that the "Amor" God has for each and every one of us is incomprehensible. God knows us, He listens to us, He loves us. With Him, it's never the end of the road. By the time I left the temple I felt spiritually uplifted. There is nothing like going inside the temple and feeling the special spirit there. There you truly feel loved; loved by our Heavenly Father.

Veronica and Antonio are doing well but they didn't come to church and I just felt down. They are doing well and are still planning on getting married and baptized this upcoming Saturday and we are hoping and praying the Lord provides the way for that to happen. At the end of a rough day last week, I had a leadership meeting with Elders Van Wagenen, Gifford, and Anderson. Elder Van Wagenen shared a scripture that struck me really hard. It's in the Doctrine and Covenants 112:13.

13And after their temptations, and much tribulation, behold, I, the Lord, will feel after them, and if they harden not their hearts, and stiffen not their necks against me, they shall be converted, and I will heal them.

The Lord will FEEL after us. Think about it as if you were looking for an object in the dark and you use every sense of feeling in your hands to find that object. I picture Christ doing the same with us. He is there to FEEL after us and to bring us out of darkness. Our lives are not supposed to be easy, and they never will be. But after trials come the blessings, because Christ loves us, and no matter what we do we can always turn to him.
My Zone Leaders, Elder Gifford and Elder Anderson (the two other missionaries I live with), helped me through that tough day last week. In that meeting they told me why they loved me, and at that moment my day went from a dark crummy day to a great one. That is exactly what I needed. I needed to feel that Christ-like love they have for me. Then they asked me what I loved about my companion, Elder Lopez. With tears in my eyes I said, "He is one of the most humble people I have ever met. He is an example to me, and that's why I love him." That meeting was amazing because I realized that it is through the love of Christ that we all grow and feel good about ourselves. We all have things to work on, but the best feeling ever is someone telling you that they love you. El amor de Cristo (the love of Christ) can be spread and shared to all those around us. Share that love you have for others and tell the people around you why you love them. If you do that, I can promise you that you will make their day and the light of Christ will beam from within you. I LOVE my mission and I LOVE all of you for the incredible support and wonderful friendships I have in my life.

Les Amo Mucho,

Elder Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment