Monday, November 28, 2011

Find The Lost Sheep

"But with some I am not well pleased, for they will not open their mouths, but they hide the talent (or testimony) which I have given unto them, because of FEAR of MAN....if they are not more faithful.....it shall be taken away, even that which they have." (D&C 60:2-3)

As Spencer Vance it was sometimes hard and frightening to talk to people about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. But now, being a representative of Jesus Christ, I have asked myself, "why was it so hard to talk to people before my mission?” This is the greatest present you could ever give to someone. Many people today wander in darkness because they don't know where to find the light. I love representing that light.

Yesterday I had an experience that changed my mission. There was a group of teenagers sitting on a bench talking loud and being obnoxious. We walked up to them and started talking. I was kind of shocked because they didn't make fun of us or cuss at us. They asked questions about why we became missionaries and asked about some of the rules we live by as missionaries. We actually knew one of them. Her name is Josefina(16) and her older brother Danny, who is 18 years old, was there as well. Danny instantly became intrigued and started talking to us. He told us his beliefs and asked us many questions. We talked about numerous topics, but the one thing that stuck out to me the most was, "Is there forgiveness?" I was able to bear my testimony of Our Savior, Jesus Christ, and how that ONLY through HIM we can be completely forgiven, and that our purpose was to help people come closer to Him. It was an amazing experience and we ended up talking to them outside in the cold for almost two hours. They all had questions and concerns about why they were here and where they were going. They were LOST and some thought they could never be found, and that there was no hope for them. They told us some of the bad things they did and how they felt terrible about those things; and about how hard it was to change. We told them that through this gospel they all can change and can all be saved; that through faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end they can ALL be FOUND. It turned my day from kind of crummy to one of the best experiences on my mission. Danny had all these little concerns like, "I believe in Jesus but God seems too high for me", and was hung up on all kinds of other little things. We taught him to see the BIG PICTURE and that he would KNOW these things are true because we have read The Book of Mormon and prayed about it. We told him that our Heavenly Father loves us and that there is hope for EVERY fallen man. We testified to Danny and the other people that were there that Jesus Christ lives and that we can all know that this is the Church of Jesus Christ in all its fullness here on the earth today by praying and receiving confirmation through the Holy Ghost. I know that I will NEVER forget days like that. We found the lost ones and now we have to bring them back to the fold. Some days are really hard, but if we put Jesus Christ first in our lives, those same difficult days are the ones when we really learn who we are. I love this gospel and I love being that light in the lives of the good people here. The changes this gospel brings to people are ones that can only be found through Him. Thank you all for writing me and for sharing your amazing testimonies with me. Be A Light and Find the Lost Sheep in your lives.

LES AMO MUCHISIMO!!!!

ELDER VANCE

No comments:

Post a Comment