Thursday, August 9, 2012

It's Worth It

This past week has been an amazing week with Elder Lenon. The Lord has blessed us with so many people that are prepared to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ. Santa Rosa is going to be an adventure. A new chapter has been opened in my mission and I am grateful to be here. As many of you may know, tomorrow I will officially have been out for a year on my mission. What a crazy thing! Time does fly by. I remember a year ago today, I was set apart as a missionary and was preparing to enter the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah the following day. I look back and see all the ups and downs, but more importantly I see the change in myself. I recognize that I have changed a lot. It is a change that has come through gaining knowledge of my Savior, Jesus Christ and feeling the truth of the things I teach as a missionary. For one to come to know if this church and this gospel are true, one must pray and ask God. I do not know that these things are true through my own knowledge of scripture or of the life of Jesus Christ ... I know that these things are true because I have felt the spirit of God in my heart and soul testify to me that this church is true. Those feelings are somewhat hard to describe. They are feelings of joy, happiness, and peace. I know that they were and are sent from God. I know that I am a missionary, a literal representative of the Lord, Jesus Christ. I know that His church has been restored in these latter-days through the prophet, Joseph Smith. I know that The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ; that it also contains the truthfulness and fullness of the everlasting gospel of Jesus Christ.

My faith has grown because I have acted upon the feelings I have received. Faith is action, and if one wants to know the truth, the only way to do so is ask the one that holds ALL truth. God, our Heavenly Father, will let us know through the Holy Ghost what is true and what is not. I know that this gospel blesses families and that through this gospel we can have more happiness and peace in our lives. We know where we came from, why we are here, and where we are going. I am filled with gratitude because over the past year I have come to realize that it is because of this gospel of Jesus Christ that my family has been so blessed, and that I have had the life I have because of it.

I look forward to another year of experiences and learning. This message we bring is for all who are willing to hear it. Everyone is our brother or sister. I know that all of these things are true. There are going to be challenges ahead but I know it is because I have this gospel, Jesus Christ, and my Heavenly Father that all will be well. I hope you all enjoy this poem below. I have slowly been adding to it over the course of the past year and it was inspired. I would like to thank my family for all the love and support they have shown me through this past year. I love being with my people and I love serving as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It has been a life changing experience and it has definitely been worth it.
                                   
 "My Best 2 Years"

I've waited my whole life to be here today.
Saving up penny by penny,
It didn't matter what I had to pay.

My testimony becoming strong and pure.
Now it's my turn to take them the cure.
Two by two we walk and knock on doors,
Someone hollow or someone very poor.
Sometimes the great and spacious mocks,
That's all we hear, it's their heart that locks.

As a representative of Jesus Christ I do all that I can,
But it's sad to see Satan have power over man.
We are stronger when we choose the right.
Praying to God or singing with all our might.

The philosophies of man,
Confusing the children of God.
The armies of Helaman press forward,
Every step we trod.

I know that the trials and hardships
Of my life have been felt before.
By the one I worship,
The one who knocks on my door.

I remember what He had to pay
As those drops of blood fell for me.
While he hung from a cross on that dreary day,
And suffered in a garden called, Gethsemane.

Nails driven through his hands and feet, a spear pierced his side
The world He created, was the one for which He died.

For the pharisees He was dead at last,
The believers believed, it was 3 days that passed.
He rose in His glory and light,
The face of our Savior illuminating and oh so bright.

The light of Christ fills us from the inside out
As human beings it is this, that is often forgotten
Without it, we are merely living in a drought.
The Son, The Only Begotten
In whom we cannot live without.
Side by side He walks our same pace,
It is up to us to look and see His face.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ
Is something I can never deny.
The joy of bringing the truth to others,
Is the same that makes angels fly.

My people, my people every night I say.
It is them for whom, I hope and wish and pray.
Thank you Father for this opportunity.
I wish I could be here with them for eternity.

I hope they call me on a mission,
That wish has been fulfilled.
Here I am trusted to do God's will.

To lead them home to our Heavenly Father above,
Which I do, solely out of love.

I Love My Mission.

-Elder Spencer Guy Vance


No comments:

Post a Comment