Thursday, March 8, 2012

Filling The Void

Every person is born with the light of Christ. Everyone has it and we all yearn to bask in it. With some people, we often see that over time that light can be dimmed, and dark voids can replace certain parts of that beautiful light. I think the hardest part about being a missionary is finding those "voids". We all have them in our lives ... some deeper and darker than others. But I know all of those voids can be filled with the light and power of Christ. I know that because I have seen it. As a missionary it's so crucial to be in tune with the Spirit so that you can know where those voids are in someone's life. It is through this gospel that we can maintain and grow that light of Christ within each and every one of us.
Last week I talked about finding Juan and inviting him to be baptized. He is 23 years old and has such a strong faith in Jesus Christ. This last week we also met, taught, and invited his older sister, Veronica, to be baptized. She accepted as well! They are both planning on being baptized on the same day, March 24th. They are both so great and have such a special spirit. We had a few lessons with them this past week and she even made us some Mexican food with REAL tortillas. They were sooo GOOD! They both came to church on Sunday and it was our testimony meeting. Members bore their own testimonies about how they had come to know that this gospel and church are true. It was such a powerful meeting and Juan and Veronica said, "We feel different here. There is something special here". After that we went into a classroom and taught them about the gospel of Jesus Christ. We taught them that through Christ we can be cleansed from sin, about having faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. When we were talking about baptism Veronica stopped, and with tears in her eyes said, "Before you came over, I had so many problems in my life. I was doing bad things and I didn't feel good about myself. But when you came over something felt so peaceful, it felt wonderful. I feel different now. Something filled me in my heart. I want to follow Christ and I want to be on this path." Her brother also said, "The moment you said the first prayer in our house, I felt peaceful. I felt uplifted by this feeling; by the Spirit." It was a great lesson. It is such a blessing to see how this gospel changes people, how it FILLS the voids of the children of God. I am merely the vessel carrying this light and this truth to bring people out of those dark places. There are so many that are trapped, fallen, or hanging over an abyss. But I know that this gospel can bring people out of those dark places. Not only have I seen it in the lives of the people here, but in my own life as well. I would not be here today without this gospel; it is not just a part of me, it's who I am … forever. I cannot deny the things I have felt throughout my life. I am here to serve others and to invite others to come unto Christ. HE IS THE LIGHT that penetrates all of the darkest of voids. I love this simple yet powerful scripture out of the New Testament, in John 12:46.
"I am come a LIGHT into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness."
At times I have walked the dreary road into darkness. But He has penetrated my sphere of darkness so that I could be free. Life is difficult and we all will fall, but light will always overcome the darkness. His hand has been there for me, and all I had to do was take it. Let Him do the same with you. He suffered and died for us so that we can free from sin. He suffered so that we don't have to … so we don't have to walk in darkness. Spread the light and love of Christ with all you come in contact with and you will be blessed. I know any void you have or feel in your life can be filled with the gospel of Jesus Christ. I appreciate and love having that knowledge and this gospel in my life, for I know it is true. You are all in my prayers, I love my mission, and I know that I am a son of God.
Les Amo,
Elder Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment